Friday, May 3, 2013

Expect Nothing!!

This past week our pastor talked about global missions. I was stunned by how we can relate it to adoption. Especially one of the bullet points, expect nothing. So many times we go into parenthood via birth or adoption with expectations. Yes we may not think we do, but we do. 

One of the major expectations I have had as a parent is that I will love my child and they will love me. Most of the time that is true. However, I have experienced that to not always being the case. Not all the time do they love you or even want you in their life. Then in return it makes it a little difficult to love them back when you keep getting rejected! You can then start thinking of the future in a negative way. I did. 

Then comes Grace, wonderful Grace. God lavishes us with it! Yet it is so hard to lavish ourselves with it. Because I was thinking in a negative way I was not showing myself grace let alone my child. We must open our eyes to the joy God has for us, what is amazing is He always has it for us.

Remember that I said our pastor's bullet point was expect nothing. Well he then scratched it out and wrote over it, Expect EVERYTHING! Yes, with God's grace we can expect everything. Everything for His glory. God is always faithful, but He does not promise no pain. Yet through the pain we grow and see Him more closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment